Award-winning composer David Gregory Byrne’s unique sound is at turns nostalgic, humorous, dramatic, and idiosyncratic. Blending traditional orchestration with contemporary sounds, he consistently creates scores that draw the audience in and move the story forward in a compelling way.
As a composer and multi-instrumentalist Byrne has shown his range in projects like the MTV comedy series “The Hard Times of RJ Berger,” “Pittsburgh,” a docu-comedy about Jeff Golblum playing Harold Hill in a regional theater production of “The Music Man,” which premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival, Sebastián Lelio’s “Gloria” starring Julianne Moore, and the award winning documentary “Second Skin.”
Additional credits include: “Rolling with Dad” for Adult Swim, a short film series for Microsoft, preproduction music for an upcoming Focus Features title, the PBS documentary “Stand up, Speak Out,” the score for the comedy “Penthouse,” additional music for “The Real L Word,” The Cooking Channel’s “Food(ography)” hosted by Mo Rocca; the Comedy Central web series “Pop Crack,” (appearing both on the web and airing on Comedy Central as part of “Atom TV”) scoring the CBS web series “How to Survive a Horror Movie;” David Katzenberg’s “The Tale of RJ” starring Christopher Mintz-Plasse, VH-1’s “Acceptable TV;” and a number of NBA/WNBA commercials, including one that aired during the 2010 NBA All-Star Game.
In addition to his film scoring work, Byrne has earned extensive credits as an orchestrator and arranger in New York City and Los Angeles. His work as an arranger was most notably heard in the hit TV show “America’s Got Talent” (Season Two).
Outside of the film and TV world, his music has been performed by ensembles as varied as The United States Army Orchestra, The New York Miniaturist Ensemble, The Glamazons, The Weston Playhouse, and Raw Impressions Music Theater. Venues featuring his works include The Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), The Wharton School of Business, The Dutton Family Theatre, La MaMa e.t.c. and Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center.
Byrne holds a Masters of Musical Composition from The University of Michigan, where he studied with Pulitzer-Prize-winning composer William Bolcom.
- – 2018 Gloria (Feature [Music Consulting/Arranging]) IN THEATERS NOW!
- – 2016 Stand Up, Speak Out (Documentary)
- – 2015 Know How (Documentary [Additional Music/Arranging])
- – 2013 Rolling with Dad (TV Special – ADULT SWIM)
- – 2012 It Gets Better (TV Special – Vh1 [additional music])
- – 2010-2011 The Hard Times of RJ Berger (TV Series – MTV)
- – 2010-2011 Food(ography) (TV Series – COOKING CHANNEL [Theme/additional music])
- – 2010 The Penthouse (Feature)
- – 2008 Second Skin (Documentary)
- – 2006 Pittsburgh(Feature)
- – 2006 Shut Up and Shoot!(Feature)
For a full credit listing please visit IMDb
- – Domani Vision Fest **WINER – Best Score
- – ACE Fest NYC **WINNER – Best Documentary**
- – Tribeca Film Festival
- – SXSW
- – Hawaii International Film Festival
- – Santa Fe Film Festival
- – Savannah Film Festival
- – Doc/Fest
- – Calgary International Film Festival
- – Traverse City Film Festival
- – Fort Lauderdale Film Festival
- – Hotdocs
- – Queens International Film Festival
- – Sedona International Film Festival
- – Guangzhou International Documentary Film Festival
- – Three Rivers Film Festival
- – Waterfront Film Festival
- – IFF Boston
- – Sheffield Film Festival
- – East Lansing Film Festival
- – Bradford Animation Festival
- – Camden International Film Festival
- – iNDYFRINGE
- – Hollyshorts Film Festival